I’m Carmel, Product Designer and Computer Engineering graduated at the University of Granada.
Master Front-end Lemoncode – Editions I-VI – I find teaching a great knowledge experience. In this online master, I perform a 3-hour session to introduce key concepts about User Experience for developers. Every year I try to update examples with recent technologies and tools.
ITRS – 2 years – I fell in love with Data working for this start-up company. I created the user interface concept of a real-time analytics platform after a deep analysis of competitors and industry standards. I discovered the power of quantitative user research analysing user interactions and followed an ‘eating-your-own-dog-food’ approach to visualise those metrics with the tool I helped to build, which inspired my article ‘Measuring UX with your own tools’.
CSC (Now DNX) – 2 years 9 months – The challenge was to create a common culture of User-Centred Design for a big corporation, so I started thinking about design in a more strategic manner, collaborating with Product Managers to get to the appropriate audience. I created a detailed reference for standards, guidelines, and UI Components for desktop and mobile apps so developers around the globe could build seamlessly healthcare applications.
iSOFT (a CSC Company) – 2 years 3 months – When I joined to iSOFT, I was a junior designer working as part of a team of developers and architect. I had to handle product requirements definition working with people in Australia, India, UK and Spain. Thanks to the success of a small proof of concept, the team grew, and I was promoted. I could hire 4 new designers and 2 more front-end developers. Together we created the first UI framework in XAML and .Net to build healthcare solutions.
Freelance – 8 months – I started working as a freelancer to save as much money as possible and decide my own path of working so I could finish my master degree studies. During this time I built web-based products using Drupal. I’ve created themes from scratch, prototyping and defining the information architecture of websites, and setting up Drupal sites. I spent almost 20% of the time looking for new projects and speaking with customers, which taught me to appreciate the value of good management skills.
Grupo Trevenque Kaplan – 1 year 8 months – This was my very first serious job as an engineer, I won’t forget the vast amount of things I learnt from my colleagues. I was developing cool Drupal modules in PHP while I fell in love with CSS and HTML. Working surrounded by designers made me appreciate the value and power of well designed and developed web interface.
University of Granada – 9 months – During my first job opportunity as an intern, I finish my degree in Computer Engineering. I worked as a Drupal developer and PHP programmer for different departments at the University. It was a good practice of some of the knowledge acquired during my studies.
- Design: Invision, Sketch, Adobe XD, Axure RP, Proto.io, Balsamiq Mockups, UXPin.
- Analytics: Google Analytics, Data Studio, Fullstory, Inspectlet, Amplitude, MyOwnToolForTesting.
- Others: Intercom, Segment, Big Query.
- For humans: Spanish (native), English (advanced), French (ridicule), Arabic (hi, good morning, 1,2,3…)
College: University of Granada
- UGR · Master Degree: Computer Engineering / 2010 / PFC · LCMS Platform based on Drupal
- UGR · Degree: Systems Computer Technical Engineering / 2005
- Information Visualization: Getting Dashboard Rights (IDF) / 2019
- Information Visualization (IDF) / 2019
- Introduction to Data Analytics (Codeacademy) / 2018
- R Programming (Coursera) / 2016
- Data Driven Design / 2020
- Comunicación Significativa / 2019
- Interaction Design Foundation (membership) / 2018-19
- Aprender a Enseñar / 2018
- Data Visualization with David McCandless at Visualized Conference / 2015
- Contextual Research with Steve Portigal at Webvision Conference / 2012
- The Characteristics of Effective Personas / 2012
- UX Design in the Mobile Frontier / 2012
- Designing effective surveys / 2012
- Lean UX: Getting out of the deliverables business / 2012
- Introduction to effective web design on-line / 2009
- Dynamic of Complex Systems and Bio-inspired Algorithms (UNIA) / 2006
- Web Site Development and Information Architecture (UGR) / 2005
- Organiser: Yes We Tech (since 2015). Feminist Tech community.
- Collaborator: J On The Beach (2016,2017,2018). Tech Conference.
- Volunteer: PyConES (2018). Tech Conference.
- Web Developer: NOS (2008-2009). LGTB Non-profit organisation.
- Tech In Finance – Málaga /2019 (volunteer)
- UI/CSS Day – Amsterdam / 2019
- T3chFest – Madrid / 2019 (speaker)
- Generate Conference – London / 2018
- PyConES Málaga / 2018 (volunteer)
- OpensouthCode / 2018 (speaker)
- J On The Beach / 2016-18 (organiser)
- Smashing Conference – Barcelona / 2017
- UX Spain / 2012-2017 (speaker, 2014)
- Visualized – Nueva York / 2015
- Material Fest – Cádiz / 2015
- UX Fighters – Madrid / 2014
- Beyond Tiles – Madrid / 2013
- Microsoft Events – Megathon Málaga / 2013
- Web & Mobile – Webvision Barcelona / 2012
- Microsoft Events – reMIX Madrid / 2010
- Drupal International – Drupal Conference Barcelona / 2007
- Ruby on Rails Events – Rails Spanish Conference / 2006