My name is Carmel Hassan Montero, and I’ve been working in the software industry as a UX Designer for more than 10 years. I studied Computer Engineering at the University of Granada, and started my career as a Web Developer in 2006. My passion for technology and human-computer interaction design drives my professional path since then.
During my work experience, I’ve acted as a designer, a leader, a manager, and a consultant. Whichever my role could be I enjoy always getting my hands dirty with real stuff to train my brain, exercise my hands, and empathize with people.
I’m based in Málaga (Spain), where I’m actively involved in tech communities like Yes We Tech, and support the organization of events that promote diversity and equality.
I enjoy my biking/walking commuting to the office as well as the flexibility of working remotely whenever I need to. If there’s no office I just enjoy biking on weekends, running on weekdays and hanging out with friends and family anytime.
1 marzo, 2017
Product Designer / UX Lead
Ebury – 2 years and a half (nowadays) – Closer to the user by designing a web product and the service behind it. I’m practising every day how to do better qualitative research, I’m using tools like Google Analytics, Intercom, Amplitude, Inspeclet, Segment, and Data Studio in a smarter way. And of course, keep on working with Sketch, Invision, and Adobe XD to never stop training my visual skills.
1 febrero, 2017
Master Front-end Lemoncode – Editions I-VI – I shared my knowledge and experience to the students of this big course of front-end development, introducing them into the User Experience Design & Development.
1 julio, 2015
Yes We Tech – I was one of the fourtanate first five women who started the most active technologist and feminist community in Málaga.
1 marzo, 2015
Senior UX Specialist / UX Lead
ITRS – 2 years – I fell in love with Data, created the user interface of a real-time analytics platform. I discovered the power of quantitative user research analysing interactions and informing design based on data. This was also an opportunity to practice with Sketch and Axure as design tools to create a new interface paradigm which allowed users to build visualisations using an sql-like language.
1 junio, 2013
UX Lead Designer
CSC – 1 year 3 months – The challenge was to create a common culture of User-Centred Design, so I started thinking on design in a more strategic manner. I could create a reference of standards, guidelines, and UI Components for desktop and mobile apps. I worked closer to the technology team to build modular solutions for healthcare applications.
1 enero, 2012
CSC – 1 year 6 months – A good design vision (and work :P) pushed me toward a leadership role. I learnt to communicate better with my peers, including those in other countries, and develop a user-centred design process on an agile environment. I also learnt the importance of the facilitator role for both designers and developers.
1 enero, 2011
CSC – 1 year – Thanks to the success of my previous project, the team grew, and I could be more specialised in research techniques, focusing on user modelling, information design, and usability testing. Something new to me, a lot of learnings.
1 septiembre, 2009
iSOFT (a CSC Company) – 1 year 3 months – I had to handle product requirements definition, doing interface design and interaction design using Blend Sketchflow. Nice XAML times <3
1 enero, 2009
Freelance – 8 months – I could learn more about colour palettes, layout and visual composition while I was still developing web interfaces using Drupal. I started practising prototyping using Adobe Fireworks, which I’ve been missing it until Sketch arrived. I spent almost 20% of the time looking for new projects and speaking with customers, which taught me to appreciate the value of good management skills.
1 abril, 2007
Grupo Trevenque Kaplan – 1 year 8 months – This was my very first serious job as an engineer, I won’t forget the vast amount of things I learnt from my colleagues. I was developing cool Drupal modules in PHP while I fell in love with CSS and HTML. Working surrounded by designers made me appreciate the value and power of well designed and developed web interface.
1 septiembre, 2006
University of Granada – 9 months – During my first job opportunity as an intern while I was finishing my studies I worked as a Drupal developer and PHP programmer.
1 septiembre, 2003
Club Atletismo Ciudad de Granada – 9 months – I used to practice athletics and had the chance to teach 6-10-year-old kids for some time, so they could enjoy as I did running and jumping with friends and with style 😀
- Roles: Product Designer, Teacher, UX Lead, UI/UX Designer, Web Developer, Community Founder, Speaker (is that a thing?)
- Industries: Fintech, BigData, Healthcare IT, E-Commerce, Social Networks
- UIs: Websites, Web Apps, Desktop Apps, Mobile
- Bringing together: Engineering, Design, Technology and People
- Languages: Spanish (native), English (advanced), French (ridicule), Arabic (hi, good morning, 1,2,3…10)
- Email: email@example.com
- Tools: Invision, Sketch, Axure, Balsamiq Mockups, UXPin, CanvasFlip, Mixpanel, Google Analytics, MyOwnToolForTesting
- Design skills: Information Architecture, Interaction Design, Visual Design, Wireframing, Planning, Usability Engineering
- Soft skills: Teaching, Communication, Problem-solving, Creative, Analytical, Leadership
- Personal skills: small talking about weather, movies, music, running,
- Generate Conference – London / 2018
- OpensouthCode / 2018 (speaker)
- J On The Beach / 2016-18 (organiser)
- Smashing Conference – Barcelona / 2017
- UX Spain / 2012-2017 (speaker,2014)
- Visualized – Nueva York / 2015
- Material Fest – Cádiz / 2015
- UX Fighters – Madrid / 2014
- Beyond Tiles – Madrid / 2013
- Microsoft Events – Megathon Málaga / 2013
- Web & Mobile – Webvision Barcelona / 2012
- Microsoft Events – reMIX Madrid / 2010
- Drupal International – Drupal Conference Barcelona / 2007
- Ruby on Rails Events – Rails Spanish Conference / 2006
- Interaction Design Foundation (membership) / 2018-19
- Aprender a Enseñar / 2018
- Introduction to Data Analytics / 2018
- R Programming / 2016
- The Characteristics of Effective Personas / 2012
- UX Design in the Mobile Frontier / 2012
- Designing effective surveys / 2012
- Lean UX: Getting out of the deliverables business / 2012
- Introduction to effective web design on-line / 2009
- Dynamic of Complex Systems and Bio-inspired Algorithms / 2006
- Web Site Development and Information Architecture / 2005
Member: Carmel Hassan Montero
Membership ID: 42383
I am a member of the Interaction Design Foundation, the world’s largest UX design learning community.